To be considered for a place at The Purcell School, you must first apply. Applications are considered as they come in, and there are many advantages in applying early in the process. Candidates are assessed in relation to their age and potential at time of audition, so there is no advantage in waiting to audition later in the year.
Please direct any queries about the application process to the School Registrar, Ms Karen Eldridge on email@example.com or 01923 331107.
All candidates must complete the School’s application form. This is available as a downloadable PDF or as an interactive PDF. Applications can be received by post or email.
The completed Application Form should be returned together with:
- A non-returnable application fee of £35 paid by cheque or online – click here to pay online
- A written recommendation from the applicant’s music teacher(s)
- For classical instrumentalists: evidence of a recent performance, be this in the form of a YouTube link or similar. The recording should contain two contrasting pieces on the first instrument, at least one of which should be accompanied (except in the case of piano, organ, harp, percussion or guitar), and one piece on any supporting instrument. For first study pianists, the audition repertoire should be performed from memory.
- For jazz applicants: evidence of a recent performance, be this in the form of a YouTube link or similar. The recording should contain two contrasting pieces on the first instrument, at least one of which should be a jazz standard, and one piece on any supporting instrument. If an accompanist is unavailable, please use a suitable backing track from YouTube. The recording should contain a large percentage of improvisation, and rhythm section instrumentalists should include evidence of ‘comping’ as well as soloing.
- For composers: three compositions of any genre, style or length, one of which should be written out by hand (ideally we would also like one of the pieces to be recorded, however we are happy to waive this for younger applicants)
- A recent passport-style photograph of the applicant
to The Purcell School by post to Ms Karen Eldridge, The Registrar, The Purcell School, Aldenham Road, Bushey, Hertfordshire WD23 2TS, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For families in serious financial difficulty for whom the application and/or audition fee would prevent them applying, please contact the Registrar for a conversation about how the School can help
Please note, if using Google Chrome to complete the application form:
- Fill out your PDF. Click a text field in the PDF and type in your answer, then repeat with the PDF’s other text fields until you’ve filled out the whole PDF
- In the top right corner, there will be a ‘Print’ button (or use Ctrl+P)
- Once the ‘print’ pop up window has appeared, change the printing ‘Destination’ to ‘Save as PDF’
Please note, to fill in the Application Form online using a browser, please use Chrome or Internet Explorer (not Safari)