Welcome to the latest edition of Purcell’s Weekly Highlights!
WMSO Young Musicians’ Competition
On Sunday 9th October, at the St. Piran’s Centre in Maidenhead, seven competitors aged 11 to 18 took part in the Windsor and Maidenhead Symphony Orchestra (WMSO) Young Musicians’ Competition. Of the seven, three competitors were current Purcell students – Andrea (violin, Year 13), Luca (piano, Year 8) and David (piano, Year 7) – and one was a recent alumna, Anelise Gamulescu (piano). Of all the competitors, the WMSO commented that there was ‘an exceptionally high standard of performance’. It proved a hard fought competition, and we were thrilled to hear that Year 13 violinist Andrea was awarded joint second place. A wonderful result, and our congratulations to all four Purcell competitors.
Purcell Student Becomes Organ Scholar of HM Chapel Royal, Hampton Court
We were delighted to hear earlier this week that Year 13 organist Samuel has been accepted as organ scholar of HM Chapel Royal, Hampton Court, starting in September 2023. The scholarship will equip Samuel with invaluable experience in choral accompaniment, choir training and organ playing. Our congratulations!
Concerts Week in Review
Following a sensational evening of stellar solo and duo performances at Wigmore Hall last Saturday (12th November), the Concerts Department has not taken its foot off the accelerator this week with six events at venues such as Benslow Music Trust, St. Bride’s Church Fleet Street, and a number of local care homes, on top of lunchtime concerts.
We would like to thank and congratulate those students who have taken part in this week’s successful events:
- Benslow Music Trust: Rocco Dal Cin, Shlomo Levy, Jiahao Zhang, Tiana Oberoi, Hui Yl Lee and Dominic-Lucian Druta
- St Bride’s Church Fleet Street: Chloe Jiang, Yu-wei Huang, Rhea Jo and Thomas Wang
- Bushey House Beaumont Care Home: Jiahao Zhang, Seb Williams, David Guo, Gui Xian Yang, Jessica Nelson and Chonchanok Sophonpanich
- Second Study Concert: Danya Rushton, Tiffany Rodas, Maddie Melville-Smith, Nemunis Jusionis, JiHyo Kim, Yulin Pan, Aaron Stewart, Gabriella Muradova, Farrah Ainger, Xilang Zhao, Sonya Petrova and Zarema Sitshayeva
- Woodland Hall Care Home: Christine Amirashayeri, Minsuk Shim, Anthony Kruusi, Luca Newman, Skye Stokes and Alana Lynch
- Elton House Care Home: Gabriella Pedditizi, James Perrin, Gabriella Muradova, Grace Liu, Hui Yl Lee and Rhea Jo
- Lunchtime Concerts: Rhea Jo, Benji Lock, Sebastian Williams, Henrietta Dalgleish, Thomas Wang, Victor Bicov, Vasilke Daria Andreea, Aaron Stewart, Kevin Tan, Rujie Zhai, Suna Alsancak, Anastasia Gould, Freddie Farragher, Ted Porter, Chloe Harrison and Noah Chiari
Of the concert at Benslow Music Trust, David Ireson – a Friend of Benslow Music who was in attendance – called it ‘such a marvellous afternoon’ and went on to comment that ‘As you heard from our audience, they [Purcell’s students] were very well received . . . Please pass our thanks and appreciation on to the performers’. It would be our pleasure to, David.
The Art Department is delighted to be able to share some reportage photography of students drawing during our recent charity event, the Organthon. As Principal Paul Bambrough played the organ, Art students in Years 7 and 8 added drawing to a large painted canvas depicting the event. They responded to the music by drawing and mark making while Mr Bambrough played, and the resulting piece is now proudly hanging in the Academic corridor of the main building.
It is fantastic to see just how this piece came to be. Congratulations to all the students who took part, and special thanks to Art Technician Helena Thomas for providing the stunning painting on which this synergy of art and music took place.